Saturday, August 23, 2003


--
The broadcast television schedule has a bloc between soap operas and prime time that's mostly filled with news, game shows, talk shows, and syndicated reruns. Generally, if I'm home during that time, I usually watch a cable news network , ESPN, Jeopardy, or reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on FX. Occasionally, I watch a sitcom. Not Everybody Loves Raymond. Generally, Friends or The Simpsons. Occasionally Will & Grace or Frasier.


The other day, I flipped through the channels and settled on Seinfeld. I could really stand to watch more than a few minutes. I remember when the show was in its first run that I moderately liked it, but didn't love it the way my peers did. Now, most (but not all) episodes I find unappealing. It's not a show about "nothing"; it's a show about whiny New Yorkers.


Oh, the show is still well-written. The jokes are technically funny. I just can't relate to any of the characters. I'm not like any of them. I wouldn't want to be friends with any of them. Whether or not I find a show watchable mostly revolves around whether or not the supporting characters are interesting, which doesn't happen when Jerry's girlfriend of the week (and, hey, what a great gig for Seinfeld, getting to make out with a different actress each week) isn't as annoyingly shallow as he. Granted, I am occasionally as mean as the gang of four.


Then again, I loved the series finale. They brought back a bunch of wronged characters who got the last laugh. And when our anti-heroes were sent off to prison, they didn't really change. Heck, they didn't change over the course of the series. I can't point to one example of character growth, unless you count Kramer's revelation of a first name. Then again, I don't think Jerry Seinfeld's acting range allows him to play a character with a lot of growth.


But I don't begrudge those who think Seinfeld is the greatest show ever, even if I disagree. Does it mean that I am more level-headed or more wishy-washy that I can encounter diverse tastes in popular culture without necessarily leveling visceral accusations of lack of taste? (I''m especially looking at all you folk who denigrate country music as a whole.)

(8:15 AM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home