Wednesday, June 02, 2004


--
The Christian Science Monitor has a story on "traditional neighborhood development.


I think I would consider living in one of these for several reasons:
1) "Walkability." I like this concept. I'd like to be able to walk to the grocery and back in five minutes to pick up a few extra ingredients for a recipe. I'd like to have a couple of nice neighborhood restaurants that I can travel to on foot. In a nation of Super Size Me, I think what is lost is that people no longer walk to school, that commutes are by car. I want a routine where walking is a viable mode of transportation and not some exercise that feels chore-like.
2) "Small lot sizes." I hate mowing the lawn. 'Nuff said.
3) "Sociability." People that you are friends with just because they live next door. Bumming a burger when they cook out.
4) It's popular with retirees. Not that I want to live with a lot of old people, but having some elderly around means that I can occasionally listen to interesting stories of days gone by.

(12:48 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home