Friday, September 02, 2005


The Rant of New Orleans --
Posted as a comment to this thread:

I'll be honest. I'm rather pissed about all this. If I were still trapped in New Orleans and had a gun and knew everything I know, I'd be rather tempted to take out my frustration by putting a bullet through the first government representative I see, whether it be a politician, an administrator in a suit, or a soldier in uniform. And if things continue to be botched and misdirected, I may go all Pat Robertson in advocating what needs to be done to counter-productive leadership to make things, well, not better but rather less horrific. How the hell does FEMA not know thousands are at the Convention Center?

I can't help but think that there are decision makers out there who watched the news and thought, "That's what poor people normally look like, anyways. What's the big deal?" I am certain that if terrorists had blow up the levees instead, George W. Bush would have already logged plenty of photo op time.

I have this image in my mind of various decision makers seeing pictures on TV and thinking that nothing was wrong because it looked like pictures of "normal poor people."

I was watching CNN earlier today. I was struck by the words of Jack Cafferty:
"And a lot about calling Congress back. Wolf, you remember when they ordered the feeding tube disconnected from Terri Schiavo? Congress returned to Washington on a Sunday night in order a pass some sort of a piece of legislation that was calling on them to reconnect the feeding tube. In a matter of hours, they came back on holiday. This hurricane happened on Monday, they may show up in Washington tomorrow, Friday, to work on a resolution to appropriate some money for these people in New Orleans. I guess it's all about what's important to you, isn't it?"

I'll stop ranting now.
(3:32 AM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home