Friday, April 07, 2006


Why Is the Pope Catholic --
Via USATODAY.com, Pope Benedict on why he became a priest:


"There was the Nazi regime," Benedict said. "We were told very loudly that in the new Germany 'there will not be anymore priests, there will be no more consecrated life, we don't need this anymore, find another profession.'"

"But actually hearing these loud voices, I understood that in confronting the brutality of this system, this inhuman face, that there is a need for priests, precisely as a contrast to this anti-human culture," he said.


Benedict also expresses human doubts about becoming a priest.


"I asked myself if I really had the capacity to live an entirely celibate life," he said. "Being a theoretical and not practical man, I also knew it wasn't enough to love theology to be a good priest, but I also needed to be available to young people, old, sick and poor people."
(4:08 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home