Friday, January 02, 2004


--
I cam across this old (1999) article giving one Vaticanista's list of the papabile, the possible candidates for pope. Here's another, more recent list. Some of the names I've actually heard of.


Pierre Eyt had a public disagreement with Cardinal Ratzinger over the Church in the modern world, which marks him as someone who interests me. Unfortunately, he died of cancer since the article came out.


Cardinal Ruini is a member of the current Pope's inner circle and was in attendance at the concert where Lauryn Hill criticized the Catholic Church. Angelo Sodano is another member of the inner circle as Vatican secretary of state.


Now, I don't know exactly how the conclave deliberates, although I recognize crap when I see it. My guess is that the final result will be a European who is at least somewhat acceptable as a compromise to partisans of Dionigi Tettamanzi.

(11:00 AM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home