Thursday, March 09, 2006


Liberal Catholic Blogging --
A comment by me to this Catholic Sensibility post.

Am I a political liberal who is a church-going Catholic with a blog?

Yes, although I tend to just note random intersections of religion and politics rather than any theological works of my own. You will, however, see me stand up for a non-secular view of progressivism against secularist progressives who seems almost anti-religious in comments on various blogs and websites (although I have more or less stopped hanging out at DailyKos).

Am I liberal Catholic in the sense of those who agitate for women priests, legalized abortion, and other "liberal" causes? No, and you'll probably never see me agitate for any changes I may desire (I don't complete agree or disagree with the liberals that the conservative Catholic bloggers bemoan) in the odious, aggressive manner that some do because I believe there is a right way and a wrong way to go about making changes in the Catholic Church and some liberals are no better than the Society of St. Pius X in that regard.

There are a lot of liberal ex-Catholic blogs out there, although they don't write primarily about their Catholic experience. It's a lot harder to find obviously liberal Catholics with a semblance of orthodoxy, perhaps because their focus isn't on the liberalism that separates them from more conservative Catholics, but on the not inconsequential things they do have in common.
(1:24 AM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home