Friday, March 21, 2003


--
I've basically turned into that guy who says things that other people wouldn't say.


What's fun about NASCAR? Car crashes. Surprise violence.


What do I want out of Bush's Blitzkrieg on Baghdad? Something, anything, that's surprising. I just want one major thing to go vastly contrary to predictions. I don't care what it is. I don't care if it helps or hurts Saddam Hussein. I just want some unpredictable thing to occur, making all the talking heads on 24-hours news television scramble for something unscripted to say.


This is pretty much a scripted war. Joe Millionaire was more spontaneous than the TV coverage of this war. I have a mild amount of respect for the propaganda skills of the Bush regime. They know what they are doing.


But, yeah, I want something unpredictable to happen. Saddam Hussein is captured and is revealed to be a woman or an alien. The Turks actually seize Kurdish oil fields right here, right now. Someone sets us up a nuclear bomb. A reporter gets up during a press conference and slaps the hell out of that assclown Donald Rumsfeld.


If you think I don't care about the lives of American troops, there's probably some truth to that. I don't want them to live, I don't want them to die. I don't fucking care anymore. It's total apathy. Personally, I'd be amused to see media reactions if one of those live pictures of Baghdad showed a U.S. plane being destroyed. This is purely out of academic curiosity; I'm interested in the effect such depictions have on the American public.


I've pretty much chosen to emotionally detach myself from the death of war. Oh, I still retain intellectual positions on what ought to be done. (Regime Change in 2004, folks.) But I'm not going to cry when people die. I don't feel bad that I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral.


I'm even the kind of guy who laughs during war.


I'm laughing right now.
(1:01 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home