Monday, January 05, 2004


--
Here's a comment I posted to this Matthew Yglesias post.

The main thrust of the post deals with how coalitions are formed in the United States rather than in a European-style parliamentary democracy. In a parliamentary system, coalitions are formed after an election. In the U.S., however, coalitions of interests are formed before elections.

This does not bother me in the slightest. I would argue that this system actually decreases the influence of the Religious Right, compared to what we would have in a parliamentary system.

A tri-polar system is inherently unstable (and my main difficulty in suspension of disbelief when reading Orwell's 1984). Having more than three parties of significant strength in our system leads to situations like the election of 1860.

Given that I consider the libertarian credo to be a cancer on the soul of America, I am quite happy to see the movement marginalize itself by trying to found a third party which, at best can play spoiler a la Nader.
(9:19 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home