Thursday, April 26, 2007


Racial Profiling of Asians --
Tripmaster Monkey notes:

HAS THE “QUIET ASIAN MALE” joined the “angry black man,” the “shifty Latino” and the “fanatical Arab” as ethnic stereotypes to be wary of?

In the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, racial profiling’s one of the fears on Asian-American minds, and at least one incident in upstate New York isn’t setting any of those minds at ease.

At SUNY Cobleskill, Tharindu Meepegama, a 20-year-old Sri Lankan was suspended for five days and required to undergo a psychiatric evaluation by the administration after someone noticed that his new Facebook profile featured a picture of him holding a shotgun and an away message from him saying he was tired of of people talking trash about his school. (Ironically, he was defending the school administration on an unrelated subject involving housing before they clamped down on him.)


As an Asian whose occasionally anti-social youthful behavior might have gotten me into even more trouble had I been born five years later, these sorts of things bother me. It could be me, after all.
(2:44 AM)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I would just like to say considering the fact that this article is about me, the headline is somewhat misleading, and the “real me” that I am in fact a very sociable person who has many friends and would in no way harm anyone doesn’t come out till the very last lines…

I left this very same comment on the Tripmaster Monkey site, and I guess you just copied that article, but only the beginning of it, and made no mention as to the fact that I am NOT a quiet Asian Male.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home