Thursday, April 26, 2007


Sam Brownback on the Death Penalty --
From the Christian Science Monitor:


But it may be his "whole life" message that most sets him apart and at times puts him at odds with the mainstream of his party. A convert to Catholicism in 2002, he now largely opposes the death penalty – "except in cases where we cannot protect society from the perpetrator," such as Osama bin Laden.

But Brownback says he will not promote the curtailing of the death penalty as a campaign issue.

"I think it is tough for a state to teach a culture of life and still use this tool of death, and that's where I have difficulty with it. But I'm not going to be pushing it on an aggressive basis," he says. "I will be pushing issues like what we can do on reducing prison recidivism rates, which I've worked on a lot. I am going to be pushing what we can to do to help those in poverty in this country and poverty around the world, particularly what we can do to reduce malaria, what we can do to get more clean water supplies to people in third-world countries."


While I can't say that I would vote for him, I can say that I respect Brownback more than Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich and most of the other Republican hopefuls.
(2:08 PM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home