Wednesday, April 16, 2003


--
I'm a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was reading through one of the recap and review sites I frequent, specifically looking up the most recent episode.


The recapper (a journalist) at one point complains that evil preachers are a dime a dozen. That started me thinking. I'm fond of explorations of religion and having fictional characters who have religion as a central part of their lives.


Sure, the evil Bible Belt figure is a common archetype. One could twist it perhaps. One could have an evil rabbi, but a TV show or film such a villain will probably open itself to charges of anti-Semitism unless the hero is strictly Jewish. Actually, the PC police would probably shoot down any faith-based villain, except for a Christian. Well, some people might complain. I'm sure some there's some Catholic group dedicated to protesting every use of a shady priest in media.


So, if you want to explore the religious side of a villain, he probably ought to be some sort of Protestant. Fewer people will protest. Well, maybe you could get away with evil Muslims right now.


As for me, I'll write the movie in which the bad guy is an oppressive atheist.





(2:57 AM)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home